martes, 1 de febrero de 2011

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus.

I had never seen a film by Terry Gilliam before, and I was so pleasantly surprised. Not that I thought that he wasn't any good, but to encounter this little jewell, and I unaware of it! Excuse my prose in praising this film, but today it was Snow Day in Normal and I have spent the day watching BBC productions. I will try to be more specific. Alas!

This film, The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, is confusing and evasive. It is, also, visually striking. The different worlds that are created in Doctor Parnassus' imagination look like a mix of Wonka's Factory and a very creative The Simpsons' episode, if you know which one I mean. But I wonder, which one is more believable, the imaginarium or the real world? The world in which the troupe lives and acts seems like a pastiche of something else. Many something elses. It's a world that you can't quite pin down. Oh, layers. How I love films with layers. Or coats. Depending on the metaphor you prefer.

And of course, how could I forget Heath Ledger. His last production. His last unfinished production. And still, how elegant, the fix. At times his presence seemed imposed into the film, not canonical, from another world. But the whole film feels that way, doesn't it? It feels like the viewer is intruding in something that shouldn't be revealed.

Maybe that something is the encounter with the devil. Or with Tom Waits. Or both. Who tells you Tom Waits is not really the devil? He was born to deceive Faustus. Maybe next time he should try poker. Or maybe he already did, in the Seafarer.

2 comentarios:

  1. That was your FIRST Terry Gilliam film?! Stop wasting your time with these stupid frilly girly British films and watch something good, dammit! Watch "Brazil" or "12 Monkeys" or "Fear and Loathing In Las Vegas" (JOHNNY DEPPPP!!!!) IMMMEEEDIATELY! My goodness woman, you disappoint me so!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. I know, I know! I think the Academy Awards season is going to start in my Netflix soon. Is any of those films a proudly owner of the little golden figure?

    ResponderEliminar