viernes, 28 de enero de 2011

Millennium Trilogy

Poor Lisbeth. I don't know if it's her, her circumstances or Sweden, which just got into this downward spiral of horror but, oh boy, poor girl.


I watched the whole trilogy, I guess you could call it like that, yes, why not, trilogy, with Alexandra, almost by accident. The third film was on the Normal Theater and we were going to go watch it (not!) so I had to start from the beginning.

The first film, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo was great. So much fun. It was one of those in which you have to have your eyes set on the screen the whole time, if you don't want to miss anything. And if you want to understand something, since it was in Swedish. Swedish is great. Täck, täck, täck. But yes. So, if someone doesn't know, it's about this journalist that has to solve this really old crime while waiting to go to jail. He is kind of lost, but luckily for him, his own personal hacker, aka Lisbeth Salander, helps him with the clues.

This first film is quite violent, but not so much that will disgust you. It is sofa gripping, eye widening and jaw dropping. It was so much fun. So much fun in a Swedish and violent way. I especially liked it, because I thought that it was going to be one of those films that have a cliffhanger at the end and you have to wait a year and a half for the continuation. But no. It has a beginning, a middle and an end. And that should be the end.

I was very excited to see the second film, The Girl who Played with Fire. The first one was very good and, although I had heard that the second one was somewhat lower in its quality, sure, it couldn't be that bad. I was so excited to unravel another mystery..! I have to say, however, that, I don't know about the mystery, but unraveling, well, that something else. I was crocheting my way through a gorgeous hat the whole time the film was on. In a way, I'm happy that I watched it, since I could really work on the hat and I finished it within a couple of hours. I think that the fact that I'm talking about my hat says something about my idea of the film, doesn't it?

The second film gets very confusing. It's all about names and politicians and prostitutes and Lisbeth and her friend and Bloomkvist. I don't know. It's all a haze in my memory. I know that you get to know Lisbeth's past. And that's importan. And that the ending is kind of... unsettling. Like a very strange CSI episode. One of those, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, despite the contradictory feelings that the second film produced in me, I also watched the third one. Just in case, I had my crocheting hook at hand. I am afraid, I had to use it. Alexandra was knitting, too. Caroline's scarf. It's purple.

So the third film, The Girl who Kicked the Hornest's Nest, is even more confusing that the second one, with more names, more politicians, more violence. The whole film is already dilluted in my head. And for a trilogy, the ending is not an end at all. I heard that there is a fourth book somewhere, by the same author. I don't know if maybe that is why the ending doesn't end or it's just that crappy. Or genius.

Sorry, I wish I were of more help. I kind of want to see the English versions. See if they copied the Swedish films or they followed the maze of the book or they did something good. Something watchable. Something that doesn't require knitting needles.

2 comentarios:

  1. The 2nd and 3rd ones don't hold a candle to Girl With A Dragon Tattoo, but they did inspire me to dye my hair jet black and mohawk it.

    ResponderEliminar